Thanks to a demo last night at one of the genealogy group I belong to I learned of a great new resource for Maryland.
If you have ancestors in New Cathedral Cemetery in Baltimore, there is great news for you! There is now a burial database available for FREE!
Let’s take a really quick tour.
To access the burial database head over to https://www.newcathedralcemetery.org/. Next, on the top menu bar on the right side of the page, select Genealogy>Research Your Past.
Next, scroll down to the Free Basic Search.
Now you are ready to search.
Plug in your names and see the results. In this example I just searched on the Last Name Henry and got the following results:
Some things to mention:
- You will notice in the image above the first name in the list is Edward L Henry. In reality the first listing is for Albert J Henry. However, the column headers are static, they do not move when you scroll the list. So, when scrolling, be sure to scroll all the way up!
- Notice there is more information to the right. I know that because of the scroll bar.
- Currently it does not look like wildcards work when searching.
- You can only search by name, not by Section, Lot, etc.
- It looks like you can copy the results and paste them into a spreadsheet (YAY!)
Remember to pay attention to those in the same lots, even if they have a different name. Maybe a search of the Baltimore Sun for those people will yield some new information.
Although I have not spent an extended amount of time searching the database (yet), I am excited to get in there and dig in.
So, search the new database and have fun!